This Crispy Tofu Nugget Salad provides a well-rounded mix of nutrients, making it a nourishing and satisfying option for those craving a delicious and filling salad. Here’s a breakdown of its key nutritional components:
1. Tofu Nuggets: Tofu serves as the protein powerhouse of this dish. It’s rich in plant-based protein, providing essential amino acids for muscle health and overall well-being. Tofu is also a good source of calcium, iron, and magnesium.
2. Romaine Lettuce: Romaine lettuce contributes a refreshing and crunchy texture to the salad. It’s low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin K, and folate.
3. Creamy White Sauce: The creamy white sauce is crafted from cashews, offering healthy fats and protein. Cashews are a source of monounsaturated fats, which are heart-healthy. They also provide various vitamins and minerals, including copper and magnesium.
4. Bread Croutons: While providing a delightful crunch, the bread croutons offer carbohydrates for energy and dietary fiber, supporting digestive health.
5. Marinade: The marinade includes flavorful ingredients such as soy sauce, sriracha, nutritional yeast, and spices. These add depth of flavor and contribute to the overall taste without compromising on nutrition.
This Crispy Tofu Nugget Salad is not only a feast for the taste buds but also a well-rounded meal that offers plant-based protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. It’s a testament to the delicious and nutritious possibilities of a plant-based cuisine, promising a satisfying and nourishing dining experience.
Preparation time 40 min
Cooking time 30 min
This recipe keeps for 2 days
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 slice Sourdough Bread
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 block Tofu
- 10 spray Avocado oil (enough to fully coat)
Nuggets Dry Ingredients
- 1 tbsp White wheat flour, all-purpose
- 1/3 cup Bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (smoked)
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, raw
- 1/3 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 fruit Lemon juice, raw
- 1 tsp Yellow mustard (dijon)
- 1/2 tsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Don’t have cups, tablespoons, or teaspoons?
Plantiful has an automatic unit of measure converter for peace of mind.
Press the Tofu
Press the tofu for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the Marinade
Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, large enough to hold the tofu nuggets later.
Break Tofu into Nuggets
Using your hands, break the tofu into bite-sized nuggets of irregular shapes.
Marinate the Nuggets
Add the tofu to the marinade and gently toss until fully covered without tearing it apart. Let it rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Add Flour to the Marinade
After marinating, add the flour to the tofu-marinade mixture and gently toss. This will thicken the remaining marinade, creating a buttery coating for the tofu.
Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 185°C (365°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Coat Tofu in Breadcrumbs
Put breadcrumbs in a bowl. Coat each tofu nugget and arrange on the baking sheet.
Bake the Nuggets
Generously spray the nuggets with cooking oil until they are fully covered. Bake for 15 minutes, flip them over, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Prepare the Bread Croutons
Chop the bread slices into bite-sized pieces, add them to a separate cooking tray, and drizzle them with olive oil. While the tofu is cooking, place the bread on a separate rack in the oven. Cook for 5 minutes, flip the bread pieces over, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Prepare the White Sauce
Soak cashews in enough boiling water to cover them for at least 15 minutes. After soaking, drain the cashews. Then, in a tall, narrow container, combine all the ingredients for the white sauce. Use a vertical stick blender to process the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
Chop the Salad
Chop the salad and place it in a large bowl.
Cover the Salad in Sauce
Coat the salad completely with the white sauce.
Ready to Serve!
Once your crispy tofu nuggets are ready, assemble everything and enjoy!
Since this salad is best enjoyed fresh and doesn’t keep well, it’s ideal to prepare the components separately and assemble just before serving.
Tofu Nuggets: After baking, let the tofu nuggets cool to room temperature. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s best to consume them within a day or two for the best texture.
Bread Croutons: Store the bread croutons in an airtight container at room temperature to maintain their crunchiness. They should stay fresh for a few days.
White Sauce: The white sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Before using it, give it a good stir, and if it has thickened, you can thin it out with a little water.
Romaine Salad: It’s recommended to keep the romaine lettuce separate from the white sauce and assemble just before serving to maintain its freshness and crunch.
Did you know there is an interactive step by step mode on Plantiful?
One serving contains 620 calories, 38 grams of protein, 38 grams of fat, and 41 grams of carbohydrates.
Convert measurement units, use step by step mode, add ingredients to shopping list, and check out the full nutrition facts label on Plantiful.