It’s no secret, porridge is one of our all time favorite recipes. It is incredible versatile and you can jazz it up with all sorts of toppings, from fresh seasonal fruits to crunchy nuts and creamy nut butters. Apart from being delicious, porridge is your ally if you want to increase your dietary fiber intake! Given the impressive heath benefits associated with fiber, we wouldn’t think twice and add this recipe to the shopping list!
As we spend a couple of months in Portugal, traveling as digital nomads, we mainly cook recipes that are quick and require few ingredients and kitchen utensils. This recipe is the perfect candidate when traveling from this point of view. It is incredible nutritious, it doesn’t take more than 10 - 15 minutes to make, 5 wholesome ingredients and a saucepan! Moreover, you can swap the plantain for bananas or even apples.
The caramelised Plantain Porridge is super creamy and the flavor profile is amazing, an infusion of caramel, plantain and cinnamon. On top of all, it is refined sugar free!
Tips: - You can use any type of plant based milk and even water. I prefer to use soy milk to take advantage of the extra proteins. - If the oatmeal is to thick, simply add more liquid until it reaches your desired consistency. - It is perfectly fine to use bananas instead of plantain. If your mornings are too busy, you can prepare the oatmeal in advance and then simply reheat it with a splash of water/milk.
Preparation time 2 min
Cooking time 10 min
This recipe keeps for 2 days
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 fruit Plantain, yellow (sliced)
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup (to taste)
- 2 cup Soy milk (any plant-based milk)
- 1 cup Rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
Don’t have cups, tablespoons, or teaspoons?
Plantiful has an automatic unit of measure converter for peace of mind.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the maple syrup and plantain slices, in a single layer. Cook for five minutes or until caramelized, before turning the plantain slices over.
- Pour in the milk, rolled oats and cinnamon. Stir to combine and let it simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove from heat and let stand for two minutes. Jazz it up with your favorite fruits, nuts and seeds. Enjoy!
How to store
If you have any leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container and reheat on the stovetop. Just be sure to drizzle it with some milk/water to help it cook faster and not stick to the pan.
Did you know there is an interactive step by step mode on Plantiful?
One serving contains 450 calories, 13 grams of protein, 7 grams of fat, and 90 grams of carbohydrates.
Convert measurement units, use step by step mode, add ingredients to shopping list, and check out the full nutrition facts label on Plantiful.